Learning Skills & Work Habits
Students are evaluated not only on the content they have learned, but also by the six (6) learning skills and work habits that evaluate key student habits and are considered essential skills. These learning skills and work habits evaluated on your report card are:
- Independent Work
These six (6) attributes are evaluated on a scale of Excellent (E), Good (G), Satisfactory (S) and Needs Improvement (N).
Missed Quiz, Test & Assignment Policy
If a student is absent for a quiz, the student will be permitted to write the quiz if:
- A signed note is provided from the parent/guardian of the student excusing he/she for the missed class due to illness or an appointment.
- A student is excused due to an excursion or athletic activity.
A student will only be allowed to write the quiz if it has not yet been marked and returned to the other students.
If the student is excused from the quiz for the above two (2) reasons and the quiz has been returned the student will be granted a “no mark.”
It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements ahead of time for any tests/quizzes that are missed. Failure to do so may result in a mark of zero for the student.
Late Assignments/Work Policy
Teachers will assign due dates for various assignments, work and presentations. Students are expected to submit their work on or before the assigned due date. Late assignments and work will be accepted if:
- A signed note is provided from the parent/guardian of the student excusing him/her for the missed class due to illness or appointment. The reason for the absence, the date of the absence and contact information for the parent/guardian must be included on the note.
- If the student is absent in class due to an excursion/sporting activity, it is still the responsibility of the student to deliver the assignment/work prior to the due date/time.
- If the assignment is late, 2% will be deducted from the mark for every day the work is late. Once the assignment has been marked and returned students will no longer be allowed to submit an assignment and will receive a mark of zero (0).
The policies applicable to late assignments are in ine with the guidelines as outlined in the Ministry of Education Policy document “Growing Success: Assessment, Evaluation, and Reporting in Ontario Schools (page 43). Should a student wish to appeal the decision of the teacher as a result of extenuating circumstances he/she can bring it to the attention of the teacher, or/ and Principal for review.
Missed Test and Final Exam Policy
If a student is absent for a unit test or final exam a doctor’s note must be provided for the student’s absence.
The doctor’s note should identify the date (s) of the absence(s) and medical office contact information.
The note must be received by the teacher and office the day upon his/her return.
Upon receipt of the note the teacher will enter a ‘no mark’ or provide an alternative test. If a doctor’s note is not provided, the student will be given a mark of zero (0).
Should a student miss a test or final exam for vacation purposes a mark of zero (0) will be assigned.